Friday, December 4, 2015

DNA Extraction Lab Conclusion

     In this lab we asked the question, how can DNA be separated from cheek cells in order to study it? The process of this starts when you try to scrape the cheek cells using your teeth. Then swish your mouth with Gatorade. This is used to for homogenization of the cells in your cheek. You then sip the liquid back into the cup and add a pinch of salt the the mixture. This is used to push the molecules closer together. Next put 5-10 drop of dish washing soup it the liquid. This is to dissolve the cell membrane. Then pour this liquid in to a test tube and put your thumb over he top and slowly turn the test tube upside down and right back up. Then add the pineapple juice which is a metabolic proteases. This brakes down any other proteins that were left over. The last step is to slowly add cold alcohol along the side of the test tube. Then you should be able to see the DNA here. --->
     Possible errors could be that I did not have enough cheek cells and I might have poured the alcohol to vigorously. To fix this I should have been more careful and more passionate about scraping my cheek cells.
     In this lab we demonstrated that DNA is a part of life as well as the structure of DNA. From this lab I learned major key concepts like polar and non polar. Based on my experience from this lab now I know what I am made of and causes my existence.

No comments:

Post a Comment